The history of the Goodman Community Center's building
Our new building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places!
The original section of the building was erected around the turn of the last century. The building, a "one-story production shed," is a heavy-timber structure 80 feet wide by 180 feet long. It demonstrates a classic factory form characterized by an abundance of ground floor windows and two rows of high central clerestory windows, maximizing natural light and ventilation. We were told that this was a historically significant site because it was one of very few examples of this type of architecture left in Dane County. So in May 2007, we applied for placement on the National Register of Historic Places and by June we received preliminary approval by the National Park Service. On July 20, 2007, The State Historical Society made it official!
We're thrilled to be preserving our local industrial history, and it's a tremendous financial boost as it makes the Center eligible for Historic Tax Credits, which brought in significant additional funding to help fund our new facility.
A rich industrial history
Four industrial manufacturers operated here over the last century, beginning with the American Shredder Company. In 1906 the Steinle Turret Lathe Machine Company took over and added the building until it ran the entire length of the block. In 1940 the Theo Kupfer Iron Works purchased the building and a year later, erected the 320-foot long steel gantry that has become a neighborhood landmark. In 1990 Durline Scale Company moved in.
By 2001, investors were exploring commercial redevelopment of the site. We were able to purchase the property at the end of 2005, thanks to an anonymous donation.
To read about the companies that have called this building home, click here.
Interested in learning more about the history of the east side of Madison? Check out our East Side History Club.
Our new building is green, green, green
Right from the beginning, our staff and board wanted our new home to be as green and sustainable as possible. That commitment influenced every decision - from the architect and construction contractor we selected, to the landscaping and furnishings we chose. Early on, we worked with the Madison Environmental Group on a recycling plan for the demolition and construction phases which included crushing and recycling existing concrete, recycling all scrap metal and wood and recycling all lighting fixtures and bulbs. All of the concrete that was demolished on-site was ground and reused as the base for our parking lots and gym.
As we did our research, we took our cue from two leading green building management and certification systems: LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and the Green Globes system. While we did not pursue certification from either program because of costs involved, we followed their guidelines. Our architects tallied up the LEED points we would qualify for and determined that the building would likely meet the LEED Gold standard ranking.
For a list of the sustainable features of the Goodman Community Center, click here.