The community we serve, the colleagues we work with and the great new facility we work in, make the Goodman Community Center a pretty great place to work.
Current staff openings at the Center:
TEENworks AssistantsMay 10, 2013
The Goodman Community Center is looking for two new employees to assist with the TEENworks (Teen Education and Employment Network) programming during the summer of 2013. There are two programs for youth employment this summer: Seed to Table, summer school (15-18 still in school) focuses on credit recovery and job employment with students learning and doing work in urban gardens and in a commercial style kitchen. TEENworks summer employment students (15-21) will be working in Child Care, Maintenance, Administrative and possible other career pathways.
- Experience working with high school youth.
- Experience and comfort in working effectively with "at-risk" youth.
- Experience with youth program planning and management.
- Knowledge of and experience with youth employment programs, strategies and principals.
- Experience with volunteer supervision.
- Experience with youth supervision and youth leadership.
- Strong organizational, facilitation, and leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Valid Wisconsin Driver's License, clean driving record and willingness to drive 15 passenger van.
- Teaching experience in an informal setting preferred.
- Degree in Social Work or Education preferred
PASS (Partners for After-School Success) AmeriCorps MembersMay 9, 2013
- Assist development, preparation & supervision of activities for middle & high school youth
- Provide one-on-one reading tutoring for 5 youth during the school day
- Participate in weekly AmeriCorps members meetings and training hours
- Assist in record keeping, reporting, and other data collection duties for youth in programs
- Take leadership in curriculum development and program implementation
- Assist in developing community service projects & adult volunteer recruitment
- Ensure safe and enriching environment for participants and community
- Assist in planning and lead implementing of special projects & mini courses
- Assist in staffing The LOFT during program hours, including some weekends and evening
- Assist in driving 15 passenger van for daily pick up or drop off, and field trips
- Ability and desire to be hand on, and participate in all activities provided for youth
- Experience in youth work or social services preferred
- Ability to build positive relationships and create an accepting atmosphere
- Ability to be energetic and creative
- Experience in behavior management of adolescent youth
- Experience working with youth and staff from many socio-economic & ethnic backgrounds
- Desire to learn and teach in a fun and challenging work environment
- Bringing a positive attitude to work daily and maintain open communication with fellow staff
- Valid Wisconsin Driver's license and good driving record
- Pass background check
- AmeriCorps members must meet the following requirements outlined by the State and Federal AmeriCorps rules, including:
- Serve 1700 hours between September 1, 2013 and August 31, 2014
- Be a citizen of the United States, a United States national, or a legal permanent resident of the United States
- Have a high school degree or equivalent (or agrees to obtain a high school diploma or GED)
- Be a least 17 years old
- Pass a criminal background check including National Sex Offender Registry, State(s) registry and FBI
- Have not served more than four fulltime AmeriCorps terms of service or received two fulltime education awards
- Follow all PASS policies and AmeriCorps rules and regulations as outlined in the Member Agreement
- $5,550 Education Award upon successful completion of 1,700 hours
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Free access to Goodman Community Center Fitness Center
- Discount at Ironworks Caf at the Goodman Community Center
- Direct exposure to 20 program partners, and access to many others that utilize our site
- Great resume building opportunity
CustodianMay 8, 2013
- 6 months or more of previous custodial experience.
- Ability to stay focused on accomplishing set daily tasks and follow through on requests.
- Basic computer skills- Microsoft Office.
- High School education or equivalent.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good communication skills to interact with all staff, volunteers and community members and ability to communicate effectively regarding the particular cleaning needs and requirements of various programs.
- Willingness to accept direction, advice and work as part of a team.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to continuously operate necessary cleaning equipment (mechanical as well as manual equipment), including but not limited to vacuum cleaner, mop, mop bucket, etc.
- Trustworthy and dependable.
- Related Degree, education or specialized mechanical systems or equipment training
- Experience training others in custodial duties
- Experience setting up cleaning systems
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude toward providing a clean, attractive, healthy and safe environment
- Valid WI Driver's license and good driving recordt
Required experience & skills:
- Must hold a valid City of Madison Operator's License.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Basic knowledge of beer, wine and spirits, and familiar with standard drink recipes.
- Experience bartending preferably for banquet events.
- Basic mathematical skills and money handling experience.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with diverse staff and customers
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
- Ability to stand continuously for up to four hours. Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop and wipe
- Excellent interpersonal skills, even temperament
- Responsive and considerate of the customer's needs
- Prompt and dependable
- Take pride in clean, professional appearance
- Experience working with staff and customers from diverse backgrounds and experiences
Interested in applying?
Ask our receptionist for an application or download and complete an Employment Application Form below:
Employment Application Form
If you choose to fill out this PDF form, please add your name when saving the file. For example, "GCC Employment Application_Jane Smith.pdf"
Lisa Jacob, Assistant Director and Human Resources Manager
Goodman Community Center
149 Waubesa St.
Madison, WI 53704
or email it to email@example.com
GCC is an AA/EEO employer
These documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. If you are having trouble viewing these documents, download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.