Toward the end of the summer, some of our Girls Inc. elementary participants were treated to an extra tasty science activity. They made ice cream using 5 simple ingredients. Below is everything you need to know to recreate this activity at home.
You will need:
- 1 cup half and half (or you can use 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 cream)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- Ziploc freezer bags – one small and one large
- Gloves or oven mitts
How to make it:
- Pour the half and half into a small sealable bag.
- Add vanilla extract and sugar to the bag.
- Seal firmly and release any excess air.
- In the larger sealable bag, add ice until the bag is about half full. Add the salt.
- Add small bag to the larger bag, top off with ice, and seal the larger bag.
- Put on your gloves and start shaking for about 6 minutes.
- Once the liquid has started to solidify, remove the smaller bag and rinse it carefully with cold water. This will ensure your ice cream doesn’t get salty.
- Open the small bag and enjoy your ice cream!
May 13, 2022
GIGM staff had the opportunity to travel to Minnesota to learn more about how other Girls Inc. affiliates operate.
May 9, 2022
Creator Sarah Stankey plans to have seasonal diorama displays for children and passersby to view. The first exhibit is about pollinators.
March 2, 2022
Girls Inc. ups its game with outdoor adventures and STEM activities — and at more community sites.