Job Classification: Part-time (20 hours per week)
FLSA Status: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Program Hours: Monday- Friday 12:30pm – 6pm
- Collaborate with the 4K Teacher in developing a welcoming environment and establishing lesson plans, scheduling, supervision, and classroom management to ensure program goals are met. Support children in their social-emotional development using multiple approaches including Conscious Discipline and positive guidance techniques.
- Create activities that introduce math and literacy concepts using a variety of approaches that encourage children to learn through curiosity, play exploration, and problem solving in a mixed aged classroom setting. Key into milestones children achieve, take notes, and log them according to Creative Curriculum expectations and perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Assist 4K Teacher with individual child assessments using strategies such as child observations, collecting of work samples, and taking pictures. Communicate child concerns and family needs to the ECE Program Manager as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with the Metropolitan Madison School District and early childhood staff to ensure shared space is respected and utilized effectively. Create a culturally inclusive classroom with activities that support different cultures and backgrounds.
- Observe children’s activities and progress; Manage Creative Curriculum in portfolios, Infinite Campus data collections, and required assessments of 4K children including PALS.
- Support physical activity and nutrition education efforts by assisting SPARK physical education with creating nutrition plans and healthy eating options to ensure children receive multiple activity times during the program day.
- Assist and participate in planning, organizing and the execution of program orientations, open-house, center-wide events and GCC wide family engagement programming while adhering to GCC standards and program guidelines and meeting all contract or grant obligations.
- Provide a supportive environment where children are encouraged to participate in a program as an individual or as of a group in classroom settings.
- Maintain organization, rotation of materials and regularly sanitize and clean classroom spaces. Attend all necessary meetings and perform additional duties as assigned.
- Maintain all assigned files, required paperwork, permissions slips and other approvals forms to ensure all children in program are tracked according to GCC expectations.
- Collaborate with CLC Coordinator to plan and review all required materials are accounted for and work with CLC partner schools in efforts to connect and support after-school programming to school-day program.
- Maintain portfolios on assigned group of children throughout the school year making sure to include teacher communication, anecdotal notes, work samples, pictures, etc.
- Use pre-program time to plan both long and short range activities in accordance with curriculum objectives, making sure to support developmentally appropriate practice as well as program goals.
- Communicate with school day teachers to make sure program is meeting the academic needs of children in your assigned classroom group including homework completion.
- 18 years of age or older.
- High school or equivalent
- At least 1 year of experience working in an after-school setting or with elementary age children K-5th grade.
- Completed two non-credit department approves courses in early childhood education or two courses for credit in early childhood education (one broad based) or its equivalent from an institution of higher education http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/licensed/CommManuals/GCC/251_05.pdf
- Strong organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Willingness to drive a 15-passenger van with children as passengers.
Special Position Requirements:
- Availability to work Monday-Friday 12:00 pm-6:00 pm program hours.
- Lesson planning and familiarity with school day concepts.
- Ability to manage children in the community as well as the classroom.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and flexibility.
- Able and willing to drive a 15-passenger van.
- Ability to work in multiple environments, at location or remote as needed.
- Twisting, bending, sedentary, and standing to perform the duties of the job.
- Frequent use of office equipment- computer, phone, data entry, and etc.
- Willingness to work during peak periods as required and available.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds daily.
- Ability to stand and work upright for entire scheduled shift
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Familiarity with State of WI Child Care Licensing Rules and Regulations and City of Madison Accreditation Guidelines.
- Experience working with staff and families from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Supervisory experience.