Our 4K program at the Goodman Community Center (GCC) is a place for young children 3-5 years of age to learn and grow in a safe and encouraging setting. Child-initiated play as well as intentionally-designed activities are provided in our mixed age classrooms. The 4K teacher works collaboratively with their teaching team and supports the organization and implementation of 4K programming while meeting the goals of GCC in collaboration with the Metropolitan Madison School District. Over the summer months, the 4K teacher helps support programming which is meant to help acclimate new children and families to GCC’s early childhood programming prior to the school year starting in the fall.
- Create weekly lesson plans and schedule implementation while supporting developmentally appropriate practice as well as program goals.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment both indoors and outdoors that is child-centered, intentionally planned, and adequately resourced. Complete daily tasks assigned.
- Participate in regular cleaning of materials and classroom spaces.
- Maintain classroom organization and rotate materials on a regular basis.
- Create a culturally inclusive classroom with activities that support different cultures and backgrounds.
- Observe interactions with children and work with staff on positive language, effective behavior management, and problem solving with preschool age children.
- Engage children as individuals in a way that allows them to maximize their individual abilities.
- Work with ECE staff and manager to develop and maintain classroom curriculum.
- Ensure all children in program are tracked according to GCC expectations.
- Support children in their emotional and physical growth.
- Focus on milestones children achieve, take notes, and log them according to Creative Curriculum expectations.
- Assist children as they discover literacy and math skills and encourage learning to help them find school day success.
- Effectively use GCC behavior guidance techniques to help children develop the ability to become self-disciplined.
- Maintain daily, open communication with parents.
- Work with teaching team to ensure all families are regularly receiving updates of their child’s growth and successes in program.
- Complete appropriate paperwork to assist with increased communication and also participate in parent conferences and scheduled orientations.
- Communicate child concerns and family needs to the ECE team.
- Provide direct supervision to classroom Preschool Teacher.
- Complete all Supervisor responsibilities outlined in Continuous Quality Improvement process including, meeting at least monthly one/one with your classroom teacher. Work collaboratively with Assistant Manager to provide timely feedback and to set SMART goals consistent with program objectives.
- Report any program, staff, volunteer, or family concerns to the Assistant Manager- and assist with follow up meetings, as needed.
- Work with the Assistant Manager – ECE and Assistant Director- Children’s Programming to help assess and measure progress toward goals and outcomes.
- Follow policies and procedures of Goodman Community Center’s Childcare Program.
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to state licensing regulations and City of Madison accreditation standards.
- Work collaboratively with the Metropolitan Madison School District
- Work collaboratively with the early childhood staff. Ensure shared space is respected and utilized effectively.
- Formally observe children’s activities and progress; Manage Creative Curriculum in portfolios, Infinite Campus data collections, and required assessments of 4K children including PALS.
- Organize required parent-teacher conferences and support parent meetings, as needed. Attend weekly staff meetings and quarterly childcare all staff meetings.
- Attend district required 4K professional development meetings.
- Attend continuing education trainings to complete required hours.
- Record time daily and help ensure accurate record of trainings.
- Check email at least once a day and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Respect confidentiality of GCC families and staff.