Job Classification: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salaried/Exempt
Job Reports To: Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director
Direct Reports: Director of Grant Writing and Reporting, Associate Director of Communications and Annual Giving, Corporate Giving Manager, Communications Specialist, and Development Associate
Strategy Development and Execution:
- Establishes long- and short term Development strategies and operational plans to support organizational health and effectiveness and GCC mission and values.
- Establishes performance measures, monitors results, and assists the Chief Executive Officer, Development Committee and Board evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s fund development program.
- Works with GCC Leadership to identify and address development issues that challenge and support organizational health and effectiveness.
- Evaluates and recommends responses to the effect of internal and external forces on the organization and its fund development.
- Develops a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain, and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Oversees the development and writing of foundation, corporate and government proposals and solicitation materials.
- Supports prospect research.
- Keeps informed of developments in philanthropy and fund development as well as the general fields of management and the not-for-profit sector. Informs the Chief Executive Officer, Development Committee and board on current trends, issues, problems, and activities in order to facilitate policy making. Recommends policy positions concerning fund development.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable regulations and laws, maintains accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Establishes and complies with the organization’s own fund development and philanthropic principles, policies and procedures.
- Appropriately represents the institution, its board and executive director to donors, prospects, regulators, development committee(s) and fundraising volunteers.
- Fosters a smoothly operating Development function through timely and effective resolution of disruptions.
- Ensures sound fiscal operation of Development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
- Helps the board and Development Committee determine accountabilities for board members and fundraising volunteers and helps evaluate performance regularly.
- Helps identify, cultivate, recruit, and develop fundraising volunteers and leadership. Trains and/or oversees training, placement, and supervision of fundraising volunteers.
- Designs educational programs in fund development for staff and volunteers; participates as teacher and facilitator. Pursues formal and informal education for self and others.
- With the Chair of the Development Committee and the Chief Executive Officer, leads and supports the Development Committee which includes coordinating meetings and the annual calendar as well as defining Committee member responsibilities.
- Engages Board members and fundraising volunteers; and, stimulates each one to give their best.
- Assists Board members, Chief Executive Officer, other fundraising volunteers and staff identify, cultivate and solicit charitable gifts.
- Annually, evaluates the performance of fundraising volunteers and reports to the Chief Executive Officer with recommendations for board candidacy.
- Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer and in consultation with the HR Director, make hiring decisions and execute other personnel transactions including but not limited to merit increases, promotions/demotions, dismissals, and etc.
- With the Chief Executive Officer set performance goals and coach and mentor direct and indirect reports.
- Participate in annual budget process and manage the approved program budget to ensure appropriate and allowable expenditures.
- Creates a working environment that is rewarding to staff and fundraising volunteers.
- Evaluate the performance of direct and indirect reports through GCC’s performance evaluation system.
- Encourage direct and indirect reports’ professional development.
- Review and approve payroll related transactions for direct and indirect reports as necessary, including but not limited to timecard review and approval, time off request review and approval, and etc.
- Perform to the standards of GCC’s leadership values and competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred in nonprofit management, business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- At least seven years’ experience in fundraising is required.
- Experience with the developing and executing Development strategies is required.
- Demonstrated history in leadership, project management, public relations, group facilitation, and fundraising.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build relationships with the diversity of potential donors and supporters.
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills- ability to meet competing deadlines.
- Prior experience representing organizations at fundraising events, presenting to donors on recent achievements, and meeting with members of the Board.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire trust and camaraderie with employees and potential donors.
- Knowledge of and experience with social media campaigning and public relations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated commitment to GCC’s mission and values.
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to divide time between office meetings with staff within the organization and meetings with donors and other partners both in-person and virtually.
- Must be able to work weekends and nights for fundraising, stewardship, and other events.
- Must be willing to work the necessary hours to reach fundraising deadlines.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time as necessary.
- Ability to work in multiple environments (i.e. Working in offices and/or local businesses to develop opportunities, at GCC offices, and remotely as needed).
- Ability to sit and/or stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 15 pounds occasionally.
- Experience with cultivating a diverse donor population.