Job Classification: Part Time (10 hours per week and more in the summer)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Hourly
Job Reports To: Assistant Director of Youth Programs
TEENworks (Teen Education and Employment Network) is designed to support the development of job, social and educational skills, preparing teens for employment or post-secondary education. This position focuses on providing direct service to high school students in both the Goodman Community Center in-house innovative school day programs (Seed to Table Transition Academy and Summer School). This position is responsible for managing the urban agriculture components of TEENworks. This positionteachesurban agriculture skills to teen participants and helps run the Goodman Seed to Table Garden.
Seed to Table Transition Academy 10 hours
- Develop and teach urban agriculture classes.
- Maintain the functionality and beauty of the Goodman Garden spaces.
- Serve as a liaison between youth and adult gardeners.
- Work with the TEENWorks and Youth Program staff, to identify, document, and integrate assessment and evaluation tools within theTEENWorks program.
- Develop and lead community building activities for students using best practices of positive youth development
- Observe interactions with youth and work with staff on social emotional learning, positive language, effective behavior management, and youth-adult partnership skill development.
- Develop positive and mutually beneficial relationships with teachers and staff at partner schools.
- Represent Goodman Community Center and TEENworks in the community.
- Utilize a youth-adult partnership model and work with GCC communications and development departments to support the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience in education and training youth in hands-on environment.
- Experience in urban agriculture and/or gardening required.
- Experience working with high school youth, with particular emphasis on working with students from diverse backgrounds and under resourced communities.
- Working knowledge of positive youth development.
- Demonstrated experiencewith mentoring and supporting teen learners.
- Ability to manage a team of students.
- Ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective manner.
- Ability to be flexible to the needs of the students and program.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, even temperament, a calm and instructive demeanor.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Commitment to GCC’s mission and values.
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record.
- Willingness to be trained and drive a 15-passenger van.
- Ability to work with students in-person to deliver programming and participate in in-person team and other meetings.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in multiple environments (i.e. working in schools to develop opportunities, work station at GCC, and remotely as needed).
- Ability to sit and/or stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions.
- Some evening and weekend hours.