Dear friends & neighbors,
These letters don't usually start with statistics, but this one will because right now, the story of our food pantry is best told in numbers. For the last year or so, we've seen an unprecedented level of demand on our pantry services. When you look at a graph of individuals served, the line has a steady upward trend.
Here's a snapshot: In August 2022, we provided groceries to 2,875 people (1,047 households). In the same month this year, 4,746 people (from 1,660) households got food from our pantry. That's nearly double in just one year!
September is Hunger Action Month, and I'd love it if every single person reading this letter took action to shine a light on hunger in our community. Here are just a few ideas:
- Wear orange tomorrow, Sept. 15, for Go Orange Day. Post a photo of yourself on social media (and tag Goodman) and share with your friends why you're wearing orange.
- Learn more about food insecurity. Check out Feeding America's podcast "Elevating Voices, Ending Hunger."
- Donate to your local food pantry. For many of you, that's the pantry right here at Goodman.
- Volunteer to help out at your local pantry. See our opportunities here.
- Host a food drive or fundraise for your local pantry. We have a handy food drive kit.
As we ease into fall, the season of holidays and family gatherings, we know our neighbors are going to need extra help. Every effort – big or small – counts. Thank you for caring for your community!
CEO & Executive Director
What's Good at Goodman
This letter was sent with our email newsletter, filled with the latest news about what's happening at the Goodman Community Center.
January 19, 2024
We're celebrating Goodman's 70th birthday all year long!
December 12, 2023
Letesha was joined by four local leaders to discuss justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) work. It was an invigorating morning!